Saturday, November 6, 2010

Diwali...My way

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a blast today. Wish you all a very happy and prosperous Diwali. Before I go ahead with how I celebrated my Diwali this year, I would like to tell you more about the festival, Diwali.
In Sanskrit Diwali means a row of lamps. The traditional way of celebrating Diwali is to light diyas in rows in your house everywhere. It is told that by lighting each corner of the house we actually get rid of the bad power of darkness and welcome the positive side in us. Goddess Laxmi is being worshiped on this day in most of the places. But in Bengal people worship goddess Kali on this occasion.

On this day we make rangoli at the entrance  of our house with lots of colors and some people draw laxmi footprints with the help of rice flour to welcome Laxmiji. We celebrate this occasion with sweets, foods, crackers and lots of love and wishes for our near ones. Also buying gold and silver is also an important part of this puja.

Today I tried to follow the tradition of Diwali as much as possible and made a rangoli with the help of color and flower as you can see in the pictures. Also I lighted lamps (diyas or deepaks) inside and outside my house.
                                                  
There's my house at the third floor lightened with diyas. Apart from these we had performed a small puja for Laxmiji. And we celebrated this auspicious day in a vegetarian way. The menu included soya-subz pulao, butter paneer, chilly babycorn, mixed raita and besan ke laddoo. All these recipes you will find in my blog posts.



In the evening, at around 7:30 p.m. we went down to our apartment premises, where all the families of other flats had gathered with their collection of crackers. We had a great fun bursting those crackers. Though I was always afraid of them, this year I gathered courage and burst few of them like charki, pencil, fuljhari and anaar. There were people bursting rockets also. The whole premise was full of smoke, noise and colorful lights. As the time passed by, it  started getting cold outside so we came back to our flat.

Since, Diwali is meant for celebrating with your close ones, we called our relatives and parents to take their blessings and wish them happiness and prosperity. Thus our Diwali ended on a happy note.

It was a nice Diwali for us. Hope you all had a safe and cheerful Diwali.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...